Download the complete guide to being a head of music.
Written by Patrick Gazard with guest contributions from Jane Werry and David Ashworth, this book will tell you everything you need to know about leading a secondary school music department.
Dedicated chapters for:
- What does a head of music do?
- Devising and delivering the music curriculum
- Using technology effectively in the music classroom
- Trips and visits
- The main school concert
- Competitions, festivals and recordings
- The school musical
- The music tour
- Open evenings: making them work for you
- You and your senior students
- Managing and motivating your visiting music teachers
- Managing money
- Setting a good example
- Working with and managing colleagues
- Continuing professional development
- Work/life balance
- Putting your school on the musical map
Helen Davies –
Such a useful guide! I will be a first time HOD this September and this guide has helped me get my head around so many things, and will be with me in my new school to refer to as and when. You can either read it from top to bottom, or dip in and out for the sections that you need – that’s what has been really helpful for me. Would highly recommend!